Donlin Gold is committed to a positive and open relationship with the people of the Yukon Kuskokwim region. It is one of our priorities to create a mine that will enrich the lives of those who live in the area for many years to come.
Donlin Gold has participated in a variety of community programs, like clothing drives to help provide winter gear for school children in Bethel, and has supported regional cultural events as well as programs that provide safety services to the YK region. Donlin Gold also supports programs throughout the region that benefit education, community wellness, cultural preservation and environmental protection.
Donlin Gold is a Principal Partner of the Iditarod and is also a Premier Sponsor of the Iron Dog Race. We sponsor the Donlin Gold Classic Basketball Tournament. And we sponsor a wide range of scholarships and job-training programs, designed to provide opportunities for YK residents to get work-ready – whether that work is at our project or elsewhere.
Here are some of the great causes and events Donlin Gold supports:
- Distributing buckets filled with safety gear and life vests in the YK region,
while educating communities on water safety
- Sponsoring Excel Alaska’s Academic Decathlon and other programs
- Supporting the Drew’s Foundation Winter Bear Festival
- Supporting search-and-rescue programs
- Cheering on mushers during the Iditarod and K300 sled dog races
- Supporting Rural Cap’s Elder Mentor program of bringing Elders into the schools to support student learning
- Participating in multiple regional summer festivals and fairs
- Participating in Clean Up Green Up initiatives in nearly every YK village
- Sponsoring both Alaska Federation of Natives and the First Alaskan’s Institute Elders & Youth Conference
- Supporting summer intern programs
- Hosting the Bethel Clothing Extravaganza
- Cheering on mushers and offering support during the Iditarod
- Sponsoring the Donlin Gold Classic Basketball Tournament
- Supporting the Best in the West Small Business Competition
- Providing support for Calista Education and Culture and TKC scholarship programs
Because the Donlin Gold project is on land owned by The Kuskokwim Corporation (surface) and Calista Corporation (subsurface), all shareholders of those corporations will benefit from the mine. Because Donlin Gold has committed to prioritize local hire and to invest in supporting communities throughout the region, all residents of the region will benefit from the project directly or indirectly.
So, in a way, everyone who lives in the YK region can proudly say, “This is OUR mine.”
What the region is saying
Donlin Gold values input from the community, which help us shape the direction of the project. We have been listening to the people of the region since exploration began over 21 years ago and have been putting their thoughts and concerns into action. For example, after hearing our initial project proposal, many people in the region encouraged us to seek alternative methods for powering the project. This resulted in Donlin Gold studying the feasibility of a natural-gas pipeline as the primary source of power for the project.
As the project moves through the permitting phase, we look forward to hearing more from the people of the Yukon Kuskokwim region to help us better develop a mine that serves as a model for responsible mine development.
Act consistently and honestly
Be committed to making a positive contribution
Be accountable for your words and actions
Treat everyone with civility, on or off the job. Acknowledge the dignity and value of all team members
Meet goals while honoring our values
Contribute to the group’s efforts. Allow others to contribute